It was in 1942 that Mrs. Jack Hlebechuck requested to Bishop Muench that a Catholic Church be established in Argusville. On February 14, 1942, the Argusville mission came into being.

Msgr. Arrell of St. Mary’s was instrumental in making arrangements to celebrate mass at the Argusville Public School of which approximately 21 families attended. The Sisters of Service organized the children into religious education classes. The Sisters had no transportation, so they would ride out from Fargo with a priest. That was until Albert Ondracek donated a car which posed many problems. The car had a gear shift, and, when the finally got in low, they went all the way. The Sisters of Service were eventually transferred to Grand Forks and since then have been called back to their order in Canada.

During that summer, a religious vacation school was conducted for two weeks by Fr. Veach and Sisters Bonaventure and Mercy of the Presentation Order of Fargo. During these two weeks, mass was celebrated daily by Fr. Veach and religious instruction followed in the public school. Following that vacation school, Msgr. Arrell was instrumental in making arrangements to celebrate mass at the Argusville Public School every Sunday, for a congregation totaling 70-100 people.

In due time, Msgr. Arrell felt the need to have a church. The difficulties of erecting a church were many. The outstanding difficulty was the scarcity and high cost of building materials.

During the summer of 1946, Fr. Arrell, together with the Revs. J.E. Moore, A.E. Anton, and J.J. Sullivan erected the forms and poured the concrete for a new foundation. Then came the second step. A Catholic Church in Grandin, which had been closed because the Catholics had moved away, was moved to Argusville. It cost $1,005 for cutting wires in the moving process. The church, mounted on 32 huge wheels, was rolled down the highway and settled on its new foundation, which had no basement. It was named St. William’s in memory of a former pastor, Most Rev. William T. Mulloy, who later became a bishop at Convington, Kentucky.

Within a week the church was readied for the first Mass to be celebrated Easter Sunday, but the elements of nature had their say. Down came the pouring rains, then a blizzard, and St. William’s was marooned in flood waters.

By April 27, 1947, the waters had receded. The first Mass was offered by Fr. Moore for a congregation that filled every corner of the church. A dream come true. Bishop Mulloy donated a complete set of vestments and Fr. Arrell contributed a complete set of Stations of the Cross. Mr. Ron Dwyer of Fargo donated the altar.

Dedication of the church was on October 10, 1948. The entire debt of $3,000 remaining on the church had been liquidated. First parish directors were Harry Schafer, Albert Ondracek, John Posch and Jack McDonald.

As the years went by, St. William’s found they needed more room. In 1950 they put a basement under the church and added an entry. The basement which was made by Johnny Gordon, was used for dinners, meetings and for religious education.

We were a mission of St. Mary’s from 1942 until 1973 when we became a mission of Hunter. In the summer of 1984, we again were attached to St. Mary’s Cathedral. In 2007 we began a relationship with St. Rose of Lima in Hillsboro which still continues.

In the spring of 1983, with an ever present overflowing congregation, Rev. Dale Lagodinski was instrumental in the erection of our present home. In the spring of 1983, with the help of the building committee: Reanie and Ray Kelly, Chris and Dorothy Duchscherer, Merlin and Angie Heller, and George and Jan McCarthy, work was begun by Bob Westrick Construction at a cost of $240,000. In September of 1983 our new home was ready. The NEW St. William’s was dedicated May 13, 1984. On September 30, 1990, we held a Celebration of Thanksgiving and a potluck to celebrate the burning of our mortgage and to mark the end of our car raffle.

The church was built so the altar could be moved and different arrangements could be used. There were times when the altar was in the middle with pews all the way around facing it. Three partitions were built to separate the sanctuary from the eating area. At times these partitions were placed in the northeast corner and used as a back drop for the altar. At this time, pottery chalices were used.

A few years prior to the new church, Cass Valley North School in Argusville was used on Sunday mornings for religious instruction as well as for church dinners, bazaars, Confirmation and any big event.

With an increased congregation, the new church had an 18-voice choir, three altar society circles, a Men’s Club, CYO, Parish Council and Inquiry classes. Mass was held each Sunday at 9:30 A.M. Sometimes CCD classes followed mass and at other times it preceded. Confirmation classes were held on Wednesday nights. Young adults were confirmed during their high school years. St. William’s was a flourishing mission of 104 families with a new enthusiasm prevailing.

In 1991, a handicap ramp was installed to the right of the existing sidewalk and steps. In 1992, the parish had a new sound system installed inside the church. In 1994, chimes were donated for outside. In 1995, the three women’s circles joined into one Altar Society and a church directory was published. They started serving coffee and rolls after church every Sunday except holidays as a free-will offering. In 1996, handicap parking was designated in front of the church. In 1997, a baby grand piano was purchased, new vestments were ordered that March from the Philippines through Fr. Fernando Sayasaya and everyone received personal mailboxes. In 2000, new social hall lights were installed. In 2002, the church was reshingled, the American flag was brought back into the church, Holy Cross Cemetery constructed a new site on the south side of Fargo, and Bishop Samuel Aquila implemented Reconciliation for 2nd graders and Confirmation and First Eucharist for 3rd graders. Since 2003, Christmas lights have been put up outside on the front of the church. The pottery chalices were placed in a display case in the entry in December 2004 at which time theĀ  parishioners purchased brass ones. In the summer of 2005, it was a first for girls to be altar servers. For many years, the chapel had become a room that parents with small children can use during worship. They still can, however, it is now a classroom for the high school students.

St. William’s serves an annual turkey dinner in October and the Men’s Club serves an annual fish fry the first Friday of Lent. With our social area being somewhat crowded during gatherings, we now use the Argusville Community Center for any major activity.

A permanent sanctuary was built by the men in 2005. Stations of the Cross and statues of Mary and Joseph were purchased through St. Henry Catholic Church in Alice, which closed its doors. We also boast new (to us) pews from them. The interior color has been updated from white to different shades of tan.

St. William’s sustained major structural damage due to water in the basement in the summer of 2005.

At the present time, chimes strike daily at 12 noon plus Sunday mornings and Wednesday evenings. They are programmed for the season. St. William’s continues to be a flourishing mission with 79 current families. A church directory was published in 2000, 2005 and 2010. There are numerous committees and boards for members to utilize their talents. Our enthusiasm and faith, which led to this parish’s foundation, continues to lead us forward.